General dosing consideration
- Usually a starting dose of 1.5mg daily on an empty stomach, titrated up to a maximum of 4.5mg daily over weeks, or months depending on how well it is tolerated
- For weight loss it can be increased to twice daily dosing of up to 16mg total per day if tolerated.
- Most often it is taken before bedtime as this is the time when the body’s natural endorphin cycle is most active, but in the case that it impairs sleep as a possible side effect, it can be dosed in the morning.
- When used against various addiction, many physicians have found taking it an hour before that activity (example alcohol addiction) provides the best result.
- Wait at least 1 month before assessing benefit, and often 3 to 8 months of use to attain a full effect.
- No issues have been found when using while breastfeeding and pregnancies
- Long term negative effects have not been seen at these low doses and there is no liver toxicity.
- No tapering off is required when stopping.
- There is no lower age or upper age limit to use low dose naltrexone.